FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump walks down the steps of Air Force One as he returns to Washington from a trip to New York City at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, U.S., May 17, 2019. REUTERS/Leah Millis
May 19, 2019
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Anti-money laundering specialists at Deutsche Bank AG recommended in 2016 and 2017 that multiple transactions involving entities controlled by President Donald Trump and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, be reported to a federal financial-crimes watchdog, the New York Times reported on Sunday.
The newspaper, citing five current and former Deutsche Bank employees, said executives at the German-based bank, which has lent billions of dollars to the Trump and Kushner companies, rejected their employees’ advice. The reports were never filed with the government.
The Times said the transactions, some of which involved Trump’s now-defunct foundation, set off alerts in a computer system designed to detect illicit activity, according to the former bank employees.
Compliance staff members who then reviewed the transactions prepared so-called suspicious activity reports that they believed should be sent to a unit of the Treasury Department that polices financial crimes, according to the newspaper.
The Times reported the bank employees viewed the decision not to report the transactions as a result of a lax approach to money laundering laws. They said there was a pattern of bank executives rejecting reports to protect relationships with lucrative clients, according to the newspaper.
One employee who reviewed some of the transactions said she was terminated last year after raising concerns about the bank’s practices, the Times reported.
The Times quoted a Deutsche Bank spokeswoman as saying investigators were not prevented from escalating activity identified as potentially suspicious. The spokeswoman described as “categorically false” any suggestion that bank staff were reassigned or fired in an effort to quash concerns related to any client. She also said Deutsche Bank has intensified efforts to combat financial crime.
A spokeswoman for the Trump Organization, which oversees many of Trump’s business interests, said the company was not aware of any flagged transactions and currently has no operating accounts with Deutsche Bank, according to the Times.
“The New York Times tries to create scandalous stories which are totally false when they run out of things to write about,” a spokeswoman for Kushner Companies said in a statement to Reuters.
Officials at Deutsche Bank and the Trump Organization were not immediately available to Reuters for independent comment.
The Times said the nature of the transactions was not clear. At least some of them involved money flowing back and forth with overseas entities or individuals, which bank employees considered suspicious.
The report surfaces at a time when congressional and New York state authorities are investigating the relationship between Trump, his family and Deutsche Bank, and demanding documents related to any suspicious activity.
Trump has sued in court in an attempt to block U.S. House of Representatives subpoenas for his financial records that were sent to Deutsche Bank, Capital One Financial Corp and the accounting firm Mazars LLP.
(Reporting by David Morgan; Editing by Kevin Drawbaugh and Chris Reese)
FILE PHOTO: Italy’s Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini addresses a major rally of European nationalist and far-right parties ahead of EU parliamentary elections in Milan, Italy May 18, 2019. REUTERS/Alessandro Garofalo
May 19, 2019
MILAN (Reuters) – Italian prosecutors have ordered the seizure of a rescue boat anchored outside the port of Lampedusa in Sicily, triggering a potential tug-of-war with Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini who has pledged to stop the migrants from disembarking.
Tax police officers have boarded Sea Watch 3 to seize the vessel, the websites of several Italian dailies reported, adding the move would eventually open the way for the 47 immigrants on board to disembark.
Sources at the interior ministry, which is headed by Salvini, criticized the prosecutors’ move, adding the minister was still opposed to the migrants disembarking from what he considers an “illegal ship”.
(Reporting by Francesca Landini; Editing by Mark Potter)
NEWARK, N.J. – Oprah Winfrey announced she’s giving $500,000 to an initiative at a New Jersey high school that’s aimed at keeping kids off the streets.
Principal Akbar Cook’s “Lights On” program keeps West Side High School in Newark open on Friday nights from 6 p.m. to midnight. WPVI-TV reports kids can play basketball, shoot pool, play video games or even use a recording studio.
Winfrey’s gift will help the program operate three nights a week over the summer. She told hundreds of cheering students Friday during a surprise visit that she was inspired by “all of the great things that are happening here.”
Cook garnered headlines last fall for installing washing machines so students who couldn’t afford to wash their clothes wouldn’t miss school because they were being bullied for wearing dirty clothes.
Source: Fox News National
TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras – Four Americans and a Canadian pilot were killed when a small plane went down off the coast of Roatan island in Honduras, officials said Sunday.
Armed Forces spokesman Jose Domingo Meza confirmed the nationalities of those who died in Saturday’s crash.
The Piper Cherokee Six plummeted into the Atlantic shortly after takeoff from the popular tourist destination of Roatan en route to the port of Trujillo. The military said in a statement that rescue boats with police divers and firemen recovered four bodies within minutes of the crash, and transported another to a hospital, where he died shortly after of internal injuries.
The U.S. State Department also confirmed the deaths of four U.S. citizens and Global Affairs Canada confirmed that a Canadian also had died.
Source: Fox News World
BAGHDAD – A rocket crashed Sunday night in the Iraqi capital’s heavily fortified Green Zone, landing less than a mile from the sprawling U.S. Embassy, an Iraqi military spokesman said.
The apparent attack, which Iraq’s state-run news agency said did not cause any casualties, came amid heightened tensions across the Persian Gulf, after the White House ordered warships and bombers to the region earlier this month to counter an alleged, unexplained threat from Iran. The U.S. also has ordered nonessential staff out of its diplomatic posts in Iraq.
Associated Press reporters on the east side of the Tigris River, opposite the Green Zone, heard an explosion, after which alert sirens sounded briefly in Baghdad.
Iraqi military spokesman Brig. Gen. Yahya Rasoul told The Associated Press that a Katyusha rocket fell near the statue of the Unknown Soldier, less than a mile from the U.S. Embassy. He said the military is investigating the cause but that the rocket was believed to have been fired from east Baghdad. The area is home to Iran-backed Shiite militias.
Iraq’s state-run news agency said a Katyusha rocket crashed inside the Green Zone without causing any casualties.
As tensions escalate between the U.S. and Iran, there have been concerns that Baghdad could once again get caught in the middle , just as it is on the path to recovery. The country hosts more than 5,000 U.S. troops, and is home to powerful Iranian-backed militias, some of whom want those U.S. forces to leave.
American forces withdrew from Iraq in 2011 but returned in 2014 at the invitation of Iraq to help battle the Islamic State group after it seized vast areas in the north and west of the country, including Iraq’s second-largest city, Mosul. A U.S.-led coalition provided crucial air support as Iraqi forces regrouped and drove IS out in a costly three-year campaign. Iranian-backed militias fought alongside U.S.-backed Iraqi troops against IS, gaining outsized influence and power.
Now, amid an escalating conflict between the U.S. and Iran, Iraq is once again vulnerable to becoming caught up in the power play. An attack targeting U.S. interests in Iraq would be detrimental to the country’s recent efforts at recovering and reclaiming its status in the Arab world.
On May 8, Pompeo made a previously unannounced trip to the Iraqi capital following the abrupt cancellation of a visit to Germany, and told Iraqi intelligence that the United States had been picking up intelligence that Iran is threatening American interests in the Middle East, although he offered no details according to two Iraqi officials.
A few days later, as U.S.-Iranian tensions continued to rise, the State Department ordered all non-essential, non-emergency government staff to leave the country.
Employees of energy giant ExxonMobil have also begun evacuating from an oil field in the southern Iraqi province of Basra.
Source: Fox News World
A large explosion was heard in central Baghdad on Sunday night after an apparent rocket attack on the Iraqi capital‘s heavily fortified Green Zone but no casualties were reported, according to officials.
The Iraqi Military said in a statement that a Katyusha rocket “fell in the middle of the Green Zone without causing any losses.”
The Green Zone is where Iraqi government headquarters and the U.S. Embassy are located in the capital city. Iraq’s state-run news agency said the rocket crashed inside the area without causing any casualties.
Alert sirens sounded briefly in Baghdad after the explosion was heard, according to Associated Press reporters on the east side of the Tigris River.
The Katyusha multiple rocket launcher is an inexpensive type of rocket artillery that can deliver explosives to a target quicker than conventional artillery, but is less accurate, according to Reuters.
The apparent attack comes amid heightened tensions across the Persian Gulf, after the White House ordered warships and bombers to the region earlier this month to counter an alleged, unexplained threat from Iran. The U.S. embassy in Baghdad and its consulate in the northern city of Erbil evacuated non-essential staff this week, following the escalating tensions with Iran.
Recent tensions in the Persian Gulf between the U.S. and Iran have caused several companies and countries to pull out people.
An Iraqi oil official told the Associated Press on Saturday that employees of energy giant Exxon Mobil have started evacuating an oil field in the southern province of Basra. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media, said all those who are being evacuated are foreigners or Iraqis who hold other nationalities.
The official did not give numbers but said the first group left two days ago and another batch left early Saturday.
On Saturday afternoon, Bahrain ordered all of its citizens to immediately leave Iraq and Iran, amid rising tensions. Bahrain’s Foreign Ministry cited the “unstable situation in the region and the grave developments and threats that threaten security and stability.”
Baharin is a small, Sunni-ruled island nation off the coast of Saudi Arabia. It regularly accuses Iran of stirring dissent in its Shiite-majority population.
Iraq hosts more than 5,000 U.S. troops and is home to powerful Iranian-backed militias, some of whom want those U.S. forces to leave.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Source: Fox News World
Breitbart News has exclusively obtained a heretofore unreported-on police report from days before the 2016 presidential election that describes how a cocaine pipe that authorities determined was used to smoke cocaine was found in a rental car returned to an Arizona Hertz location in the middle of the night. Also found in the vehicle were several personal effects of Hunter Biden, then-Vice President Joe Biden’s son, like two of his DC driver’s licenses, multiple credit cards, and personally identifying information like a Delaware Attorney General badge and a U.S. Secret Service business card that police said bore his name. Hunter Biden, according to the police report, had rented the vehicle from a location in California with the intent to return it to the Prescott, Arizona, location, where it was discovered the morning after it was dropped off with the drug paraphernalia and Hunter Biden’s personal effects inside.
Instead of returning the car keys to the drop box where after-hours returns are supposed to go, the car was returned—according to the police report—with the keys left in the gas tank compartment of the vehicle. Also found inside the vehicle, per the police report, were two drivers’ licenses both bearing Hunter Biden’s legal name Robert Biden, as well as “some credit cards with the same name,” “a secret service business card,” and an “Attorney General’s badge” all contained inside a wallet that Hertz rental employees discovered—along with a pipe that Hertz employees thought and police later confirmed was used to smoke illicit drugs, as well as “a white powdery substance in the arm rest of the vehicle.”
Source: The Washington Pundit
Democratic primary candidate Seth Moulton, a Marine Corps veteran, unveiled a national service education program designed to encourage Americans 17-24 to serve their country one to three years, modeling it after the G.I. Bill.
“I’m calling for a National Service Education Guarantee because I want every American to have an opportunity to serve like I did – a chance to confront the challenges our country faces today, be a part of something bigger than themselves, and earn a promise that they will be rewarded for their efforts,” Rep. Moulton, D-Mass., announced in a statement on his website.
“That’s why my national service plan is modeled on the G.I. Bill and designed to build on its success in fostering a culture of service to this country we love.”
The proposal, promoted on ABC’s “This Week” on Sunday, would cover 60% of in-state college tuition or up to $14K of job training costs for one year of service. A three-year commitment would cover full in-state tuition or $24K in training.
Moulton is among around two dozen Democrats lining up to complete in the primary for the 2020 presidential election. He faces long odds, however, not appearing in the top 10 candidates nationally or even in his home state, according RealClearPolitics.com.
Source: NewsMax Politics
Just before 5 a.m., a blast destroyed the home and sent debris flying across the Capitol Hills neighborhood, setting a car on fire and damaging about 20 surrounding homes, the Courier-Journal reports.
Neighbors said that they knew a man and woman lived at the home, but were not clear on who the third victim might be. All three injured people were taken to the University of Louisville Hospital, where one individual was pronounced dead and the other two are still being treated. The names have not yet been released and their conditions are not known, according to Sgt. Jason Ames, a Jeffersonville Fire Department spokesman.
Neighbor William Short said he was awakened by the sound of the explosion, and saw what looked like fireworks coming from the house.
After the first blast, he reported hearing a second boom, which shattered his windows.
“You don’t never think you’re going to wake up and see your neighbor’s house completely gone,” he said.
At least five of the houses affected by the blast are considered to be unlivable now, according to local reports.
Authorities are now working to determine what may have caused the blast.
Source: Fox News National
May 18, 2019; Bethpage, NY, USA; Brooks Koepka during the third round of the PGA Championship golf tournament at Bethpage State Park – Black Course. Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
May 19, 2019
By Andrew Both
FARMINGDALE, N.Y. (Reuters) – Bethpage Black turned into a beast on Sunday as a strong and gusty southerly wind whipped across the Long Island course, presenting Brooks Koepka with perhaps the biggest obstacle he needs to overcome in pursuit of victory at the PGA Championship.
After three days of relative calm, players’ skills and patience were being tested to the limit on a course that everyone except Koepka struggled to tame in relatively benign conditions over the first 54 holes.
With everyone in the final round having to deal with the difficult conditions, the strong winds raised the likelihood of some big changes on the leaderboard.
Koepka prepared to tee off at 12 under par, a record seven shots clear of fellow Americans Dustin Johnson, Luke List and Harold Varner III and Thailand’s Jazz Janewattananond.
A victory would be Koepka’s fourth major in less than two years, following the 2017 and 2018 U.S. Opens and the 2018 PGA Championship.
There were some good early scores on Sunday morning before the wind whipped up, with American Beau Hossler shooting a six-birdie, four-bogey two-under-par 68.
But the course average was already three shots over the par of 70, and rising with each passing minute.
Phil Mickelson was among the casualties on Sunday, battling his way to a six-over-par 76.
“It’s certainly challenging but there’s nothing over the top because the greens are somewhat receptive,” he said, referring to the soft putting surfaces.
“I thought it was a great set-up to identify who’s playing the best.”
Mickelson finished at 12-over 292, but the American was a clear number one with the rowdy fans.
As boisterous as the spectators have been this week, one can only imagine what it will be like when Bethpage hosts the 2024 Ryder Cup, when Mickelson could be captain on the home team.
(Reporting by Andrew Both, editing by Pritha Sarkar)